As if we haven’t had enough turkey this time of year, here is yet another reason to chow down on the nutrient rich and protein packed poultry.
- 4 large red bell peppers
- ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- olive oil cooking spray
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper (use the tops of your bell peppers)
- 1 cup brown rice (may omit or substitute with another grain)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3lb package of ground turkey
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. pepper
- 1 cup no salt added tomato sauce
- 4 slices part skim mozzarella (may omit)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the tops off bell peppers and remove the seeds
- Place peppers in a large pot of boiling water and boil until tender (about 3 minutes)
- Remove peppers from the water and set aside on a plate
- In a separate pot cook rice according to its instructions
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and on medium heat add in olive oil
- Sauté diced onions and bell pepper in the same pan cooking until the peppers are tender and the onions are translucent
- Add ground turkey, garlic, salt, and pepper to the onion pepper mixture. Cook until the turkey has browned breaking it apart in the pan with a spatula.
- Mix in brown rice and tomato sauce
- Place bell peppers onto a baking sheet and fill each with ½ cup of the ground turkey rice mixture
- Bake for 5 minutes, remove from oven, top each with a slice of cheese and bake again until the cheese has melted.
NOTE: After baking them I put the broiler on for a few minutes to crisp up the cheese a bit. If you do this watch your peppers veryyyy closely!