Last week in THIS post we discussed how to tweak your breakfast in order to instill long lasting energy, satiate hunger and trim your waistline. Hopefully you were able to implement some of these ideas and are ready to hear all about healthifying lunch!
During the day you should be tapering your meals down.
Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and dinner like a Pauper. We ate a larger amount of the days calories at breakfast so now it is time to lunch like a Prince…
Lunch is not necessarily going to be smaller, but should be lighter than breakfast in terms of calories and carbs. It is important to carryover the same breakfast principals such as incorporating quality protein, healthy fats, non-starchy veggies and good natural complex carbs. In order to decrease the amount of calories consumed at lunch while still staying full it is important to include lots of non-starchy vegetables.
I personally experience a energy slump between 11:00 and 2:00PM which is reversed with a nutrient dense midday meal.
Lets think about how to put together a healthy lunch…
buy amoxil online canada Start with a protein:
- ground beef
- ground turkey
- organic deli meats (like Applegate)
best site Add in fat(s):
- grassfed butter
- olives, olive oil
- full fat cheese (if able to tolerate)
- avocado, avocado oil
- coconut oil
- almonds, brazil nuts, chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, pecans, etc.
- pesto sauce
Go crazy with non starchy veggies:
- brussel sprouts
- green beans
- spinach, romaine, arugula and any other leafy green
Incorporate a small portion of complex carbs like good whole grains and starchy vegetables (sorry! no refined breads and pastas) :
- green peas
- sweet potato
- sprouted whole grain bread (Ezekial bread!)
Add a little dairy
- If you are able to tolerate dairy I recommend opting for grassfed choices
Now that you’ve chosen from the list, just put it all together…
Sample lunch ideas:
- Spinach salad topped with nitrate-free organic deli turkey, chopped beets, jicama, cucumber, olive oil and a sprinkle of walnuts
- Romaine Lettuce Wraps filled with flank steak, peppers, onion, rice and salsa
- Sandwich using Ezekial bread, grilled chicken, a slice of organic nitrate-free bacon, a slice of grassfed cheese
- Spaghetti Squash with pesto, ground chicken meatballs and sautéed veggies
- eat lunch like a Prince making it lighter than breakfast. The meals listed above may seem like a lot, but loading up on non-starchy veggies increases the volume of your meal while still remaining low in calories and carbs
- incorporate protein, healthy fats, lots of non starchy veggies, and a bit of complex carbs
- feel free to add in a little grassfed dairy if you can tolerate it
Stay tuned for my take on Dinner this time next week*